Moroccan Roasted Eggplants with Israeli Couscous
Morocco and Israel team up for this delish Middle Eastern must try.
I love when eggplants are roasted, they have an almost gooey center with a silky layer of goodness around the outside. Now add to that our Moroccan Tagine sauce, Israeli couscous and fresh garnish and this is definitely a recipe that I would gladly enjoy every week. There's a little heat from the Tagine sauce, but if you want a little extra spice you can add a red chili to the couscous mix or garnish.
An extra tip for the couscous. I like to Toast the pearls with olive oil before adding the water as it helps to make them not sticky.
Serve the eggplants with a simple side salad, extra yoghurt and olives.
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- Moroccan Recipe Base - Tagine
- 1 cup of Israeli (pearl) couscous
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup spring onion
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped green pitted olives
- Natural or Greek yoghurt
- Olive oil
Step 1 - The Eggplants
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
Slice the eggplant lengthwise, then use a small knife to make diagonal cross scores deep into the eggplant, but please try not to cut the skin.
Generously spread the Moroccan Recipe Base - Tagine onto the eggplants
Place on baking tray and roast for around 40 minutes until the eggplants soften. (the cooking time will vary depending on the size of the eggplant you are using)
Step 2 - The Couscous
- Around 15 minutes before the eggplants are cooked toast the couscous with a little olive oil in a medium saucepan
- Pour in the boiling water and cook for around 7-8 minutes. (Make sure to use the lid and cover)
- When the couscous is cooked and absorbed the liquid add in the salt, pepper, olive oil and spring onions and gently combine using a fork.
- Allow to rest for another 2 minutes
Step 3 - Serve
- Place each eggplant onto your serving plate
- Heap the couscous mixture as a high as you possibly can onto each eggplant
- Evenly sprinkle the garnish ingredients over the couscous
- Serve immediately with a garden mix salad on the side, extra yoghurt & olives.
Play around with the toppings. I've made this recipes many times before, but I've changed a few of the ingredients based on what I had available in the fridge. For example, replace the olives with goats cheese and green onion for red onion etc. Cherry tomatoes are also a worthy addition, but see what you have in your fridge and experiment.
Happy Feasting :)