A Step-by-Step Guide to Crafting Simit, the Turkish Street Food Bagel
Simit, often lovingly referred to as the "Turkish street food bagel," is like a flavour-packed round of happiness straight from the bustling streets of Turkiye. If you're up for a kitchen adventure that'll teleport your taste buds to the vibrant heart of Istanbul, buckle up because we're about to spill the (sesame-covered) beans! 😁❤️
Approx 10-12 Simits:
For the Dough:
7g active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
300ml lukewarm water
2 tablespoons of olive oil
For the Glaze:
Step 1: Yeast Awakening
- In a bowl, mix up the active dry yeast, a pinch of sugar, and lukewarm water. Let it party for about 10 minutes until it's all frothy and excited.
Step 2: Dough Dance
- In a big, happy mixing bowl, toss in the all-purpose flour and a dash of salt.
- Pour in that yeast fiesta and a splash of olive oil into the flour crew.
- Stir it all up till it's one big doughy dance party.
- Now, let's knead it like we're making dough angels for about 10-15 minutes till it's smooth and stretchy.
Step 3: Rise to the Occasion
- Pop that doughball into a greased bowl, cover it up with a damp cloth, and let it rise in a cozy, draft-free nook for about an hour. It's going to double in size, like dough magic!
Step 4: Shape It Up
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (392°F).
- Give your dough a gentle punch to let out those happy bubbles.
- Divide it into chunks, about 100g each, and roll each piece into a long, twisty rope, about 50-60cm (20-24 inches) long.
- Shape each portion into a long, slender rope, take two of these dough ropes and gently twist them together and you've have made your first Simit!
Step 5: Glaze & Bling It On
- Time to dress up your simit! Dip it in a molasses and water mix—it's like the perfect sweet and sticky costume.
- Right after the dip, roll it in sesame seeds to give it that extra sparkle.
Step 6: Oven-Party Time
- Pop those sesame-covered beauties on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake 'em in your preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until they're golden brown and ready to conquer the world (or at least your taste buds).
Step 7: Nom Nom Nom
- Let your freshly baked simit cool down a bit. Trust us; the sesame crunch is worth the wait!
- Whether you're enjoying them solo or playing matchmaker with some hummus, tahini, or cream cheese, these Turkish bagels are ready to party!
10 Ways To Enjoy Simit
- Hummus Harmony: Simit and creamy hummus strike a delicious chord, creating a delightful duet of nutty and crunchy textures.
Tantalizing Tahini: Drizzle some tahini sauce over your Simit for a nutty and slightly tangy twist. It adds a creamy symphony to each bite.
Creamy Cheese Combo: Spread a layer of cream cheese on your Simit for a creamy and indulgent affair. The soft, fluffy Simit interior waltzes gracefully with the smooth cream cheese.
Jam and Preserves: Simit's mildly sweet molasses glaze partners seamlessly with fruit jams or preserves. Try apricot, fig, or strawberry jam for a delightful sweet-savoury pas de deux.
Olive Adventure: Enjoy your Simit with a side of olives, a Mediterranean escapade in every bite. The briny olives tango with the sesame crunch of Simit.
Feta Fusion: Crumble some feta cheese atop your Simit for a salty and tangy whirlwind. It's a classic Mediterranean dance of flavours.
Fresh Veggie Delight: Craft a refreshing Simit sandwich with slices of crisp cucumber and ripe tomatoes. It's a light and satisfying foxtrot.
Tea or Coffee Companion: Simit is the perfect partner for a hot cup of British tea or coffee. The contrast between the crispy exterior and the comforting warmth of your beverage is simply delightful.
Yogurt Bliss: Dip your Simit into a bowl of creamy yogurt for a comforting and satisfying snack. The velvety yogurt complements the subtle sweetness of Simit's glaze.
Citrus Zest: Spread a layer of citrus marmalade on your Simit for a zesty and sweet performance. The bright marmalade adds a lively twist to the sesame seeds.
Feel free to mix and match these pairings to create your own unique Simit experience. Whipping up Simit in your own kitchen is like holding a one-way ticket to Turkiye's flavour carnival. With that crispy sesame armor and soft, fluffy core, these bagels are a snack-time superstar. So, don your apron and embrace the aroma of a freshly baked batch because making Simit is a taste adventure you won't want to miss! 🥨✨